Feb 28, 2011

{Homemade Applesauce}

I made this applesauce due to the overwhelming amount of apples I had and if something was not done they were all going into the garbage. My son was not feeling well and what kid does not like applesauce? I learned something a while back that I must share with you all...Apples are traditional remedies for diarrhea. But do you know that raw grated apples are used to treat constipation whereas stewed apples for diarrhea? No, not me. I was totally ignorance about this fact until last December when my son was hit by a stomach virus. When I read up on what food to offer for kids with diarrhea, I found out that we should avoid raw apples!! This is because they contain high fiber which may irritate the kid’s digestive tract. It is better if we cook or blend the apples first to take advantage of the pectin and other nutrients in them. In this case, applesauce should be offered as it is high in pectin, which helps to naturally firm very soft or liquid bowel movements. Applesauce is also one of the highly recommended foods for kids with diarrhea besides rice, bananas, toast, tea (herbal) and yogurt. With that being said whip up a perfect jar of applesauce which will keep for about three weeks in the fridge. I added lemon zest and a small amount of sugar in the raw and a cinnamon stick to hang out while they cooked down. I used around 6 peeled and cut into chunks gala apples. They are sweet and don't require much sugar to be added. i like it chunky so I used a potato masher at the end and during to get it to the right consistency. It was so good. I will always use this to battle a stomach flu for my little guy:)

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I've always heard this diet called "BRATTY". Here is why: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea, Toast, Yogurt. It's always easier to remember. I've never made homemade applesauce but my daughter did (she added too much cinnamon).

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/