Here’s my linen closet organizing how-to tips…
Always nice to have a fresh start!
* Drag everything out of that closet, for starters ~
* Wash down the shelves with something you love the smell of. For me it’s Green Works Spray. Eco Friendly & works excellent… Love it!
* If you need to re-paint, do it now. Maybe a smashing bright cheery color like brilliant apple green, or dark and sexy like chocolate brown. I think I'm going with Behr Decorator's white in High Gloss. ( I would only go dark if your lighting is good.) * Clever Labeling. If you are supremely into organizing, or generally cool ideas, you could do a little metal label holder on each shelf to let the world know that pillow cases go here, for instance. (So librarian of me, I know. )$1.25 for 2, you can't go wrong. You can also paint the edge of the shelf in chalk board paint and write on it or do what I did and tape off a square and fill in with chalk board paint for a clever little to do list.
* Sort your goods. Determine all your sheets sets and get together. Put everything that goes into the matching pillow case. That way everything is together and even your hubby can make the bed with ease;0
* Bins & Baskets If your linen closet also serves as a place to store toilet paper, toiletries, and the like… consider storing those in canvas bins or even wicker or metal. Look around your house. I bet you can find stuff that will look great. I went to Ikea today and found folding green & white canvas bins for 5.00 each. A set of 2 tin bins with lid is perfect for some extra do-dads(i'm putting my overflow of photos.)
* What will you keep, what will you toss? Now “toss” is a relative term for me, it’s more like…put it aside and make believe I'm taking it to Goodwill...lol.
Can any of your sheets be re-classified to table cloths or picnic blankets? If not, consider donating your goods to your local thrift store or Goodwill.
* Consider the location of all the goods. All bedding near bedding… all towels, wash cloths, and the like together. Anything that gets less use or is seasonal should go near the top shelves.
It is done...not bad huh.I'm pretty proud,cleaned , painted & organized all with a 1 year old pulling at my pants leg the whole time;). I miss my man.