Feb 14, 2009

Hug & Kisses Cupcakes in Eco Packaging

As usual it's midnight and I just got done with a major Valentine's Day baking session. My man is snoring along with my son on the couch and refuses to go upstairs..yikes. These cuties are made of my light & airy devil's food cake & whipped cream icing under the snow white round sprinkles. They were so moist it is insane.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients, makes 24 cupcakes:9 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 1½ cups cake flour (not self-rising) ½ teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon baking powder 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1½ cups granulated sugar 2 large eggs, ½ cup strong coffee (or water) ½ cup whole milk

mix together the cocoa powder, cake flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl.
next, In electric mixer beat together the
butter and sugar about 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time,then add coffee and milk. Then slowly pour in the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture
Pour into greased cupcake tin at for 19-22 minutes at until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting.

well, they were almost cool...I made it look like a little ice cream sundae


I had to test a little icing while they were cooling to make sure they weren't poison...haha.


Nope...not poison.



I iced each cupcake with icing and then rolled them in the white sprinkles. I did that so that when I rolled the fondant it would not dry out on me. I cheated and bought Wilton's ready made fondant and dyed it red with a little food coloring and icing to make it moister. I wanted to make little X's and O's so I could put 1 of each in the gift boxes.

So this is my packaging...brown recycled boxes and red shredded paper to hold the cupcakes in place. Eco-friendly & precious!

I attached cute ready made tags I bought from Micheal's craft. Each one was different depending on who it was for.

I tied pretty pink curling ribbon around each box along with gold stickers that said "HomeMade".

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!
XOXO-MELISSA

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Oh so yummy looking. Of course you have to taste them, all the best chefs say so.