Dec 19, 2009

{ Get Your Party Started}


Figs are so good and during the fall and winter months they pop up in a ton of recipes. I bought a tub of mission figs for this recipe I cut out of BH&G over a year ago. My son was playing with a book of mine and out it fell...so I had to whip up a bit for Christmas taste test.

A few changes I made was to add a bit of cream cheese to make it a little thicker because my mom hates goat cheese. I never met a goat I didn't love but she hates it so it's out;( and then I swirled a dallop of fig preserves into it for some color and sweetness. So delish and on a piece of buttered warm crusty Italian bread or a pretty baquette sliced up. For Christmas I'm going to get fresh prociutto and serve that rolled on the side.

Ingredients

3/4 cup snipped dried figs and a couple teaspoons fig preserve
3/4 cup crumbled chevre (goat cheese) 3 oz.) or same amount cream cheese
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh thyme
Salt
Ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
Toasted baguette slices or Italian bread

Directions
1. In a small bowl pour boiling water over figs to cover; let stand 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together chevre, sour cream, basil, milk, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in drained figs and half the walnuts. Cover and chill in refrigerator up to 24 hours.
3. To serve, transfer spread to serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts and fresh thyme sprigs. Serve with baguette slices or crackers. Makes about 1-1/2 cups (twelve 2-tablespoon servings)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Figs and goats cheese - one of my favourite combinations. Also dried figs with a little bit of goats cheese wrapped in proscuitto or parma ham are fantastic hors d'oeuvres. xoxo